Mannequin?? Maquette First...
As a visual way of capturing my changes, I had initially wanted to cast my body. However, once I thought about the process required I realised I do not have the resources available to carry this out. So, I had to get creative and think of other methods I could use in order to explore this option further.
It was at this point I though that I could use a polystyrene mannequin as a base for my body. I could then use my experience as a sculptor to recreate my shape using my measurements some mud-rock and plaster.
However, I wanted to be sensible about this so before I followed my usual routine of getting caught up in the idea which almost always results in a hastily purchased barging buy from my old friend the internet. I decided to try this method out by creating a Maquette mannequin made out of Styrofoam.
I started this using two blocks (that I would later join together) and roughly sketched out the shape required. I then used a combination of the hot wire cutter, saw and rasps to shape.
Once the block were cut and shaped I then had to join them together to create depth. To do this, I used PVA glue and clamped the pieces together and left them over night.
Once dry I was able to use a rasp and sand paper to add more detail to the Maquette.
The Maquette was ready for the next stage, a layer or mud-rock which would provide a good base for the plaster...
Once both sides had been covered in mud-rock I then added multiple layers of plaster.
Once this stage was complete I shaped using a rasp, knife and sand paper.
No comments:
Post a Comment