Thursday, 27 February 2014

Research...


In order to change the body, the mind must change first.


For my body to change I must address my mind set and behaviours. I think the best way of doing this will be through research. So I decided to look at the consequences of living a poor lifestyle and identified Britain's "5" biggest killers as a way of doing this.
  • Stroke
  • Cancer
  • Lung Disease
  • Liver Disease
  • Heart Disease
Between them they cause up to 150,000 deaths a year among the under 75's.
The department of health estimates that 30,000 of the deaths could have been avoided through better lifestyle choices.

The biggest risk factor to health...

  • Smoking  
  • Being overweight or obese
  • High blood pressure
100,000 die every year due to smoking.

Obesity is on the rise in the UK with the amount of adults with a healthy BMI falling to just 34% in men and 39% in women!

In 2011 53% of obese men and 44% of obese women were found to have high blood pressure.

To think, I fall into one of these categories which has really brought home how important it is that we all make better life choices, myself included, as this is a stark reality of what the future could hold.

Source: Source: Unhealthy Britain: nation's five big killers By Michelle Roberts,Last updated, 5 March 2013, [online] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21667065, accessed 27/01/14



No comments:

Post a Comment